Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Whisky review - Glenmorangie Original 10Y

The sticker price of $36 for single malt whisky and some online reviews commenting that it is one of the top sellers in Scotland made me buy this in my local store. I am not disappointed and it is worthy of review. Here's my NO BS review of this whisky.

Basics: The distillery established in 1842 is in the northern highland region of Scotland. The distillery claims that the formula remained the same ever since and hence the bottle name 'The Original'. The brand name 'Glenmorangie' in the local language translates to 'Valley of tranquility' and has nothing to do with oranges as it may sound. 'The Original' is matured in bourbon oak casks for 10 years.



Presentation: I always appreciate the good packaging and bottle shapes of whisky. It adds to the overall experience as long as it is not exaggerated as if they are substituting it for bad quality whisky. Hence my reviews will always have special mentioning of presentations.
I liked the golden color stamp size emblem with cool patterns at the center of the box. The yellowish to bright orange color box with nice fonts is very eye-catching. It mentions that it is bottled at 43% which is a good thing. There is no mentioning of, whether E150 coloring agent(caramel) is added or not but the rich golden color makes me believe, it is added if not too much of it. There is no mentioning of whether it is chill-filtered or not which more likely means it is.
The bottle is shaped more like a bottle of wine rather than a whisky bottle with a very long neck and no broad shoulders. I read that, it is to signify that the distillery uses one of the tallest stills in Scotland.

Nose: This is one of those whiskies which smells a lot better than its taste. Don't get me wrong. It does not taste bad. It is just that, it smells so good. Add a spoon of water to the drink of 1 standard size(1.5 oz/45 ml). Anything less or more water will not get you that optimal smell. It smells like honey when you add it to boiling water while making tea. It smells sweet and floral.

Taste: Undeniably vanilla and citrus taste. But I did not taste almonds as mentioned in the box. But, if I look for it for too long, the raw alcohol taste comes in from nowhere and surprises me. It has a good mouthfeel with quite a long after taste. It has hints of highland park 12Y taste but it lacks that thicker liquid feels you get in highland park. Do not bother about any heavy smokey/peaty tastes, it has none and that's OK.

Bottom line: Try it if you have not yet. You cannot complain about anything here as such for $36. This is more than good enough whisky but just not great. BTW, There are not many great ones at this price range.

Let me know what you think by commenting. More so if you tried it, and tasted or smelled something that I missed.

2 comments:

  1. Puru - Great review of GlenMoran.. A very personal take as opposed to your earlier article which was totally impersonal. I am surprised to see you mentioned both smell and taste - isnt that against your rule ?? :) :) Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For that matter, I also mentioned sight under presentation !! The point is, appreciating senses without getting overwhelmed by mixing it. It's about slowing down and taking in moment by moment. Hence, I don't suggest smoking cigar and drinking whisky together, though it is a popular practice.

      Delete